Parents begin latest battle over child’s life support

Go to the profile of The Brief team
Oct 16, 2017
0
0
Recommend 0 Comment

Isaiah Haastrup’s parents want further assessment of his condition


The parents of a seven-month-old boy with brain damage have begun a court battle to prevent doctors from switching off his life support.

Isaiah Haastrup suffered a hypoxic brain injury during birth, which his parents claim resulted from the care his mother received at the time. He is being treated at King’s College Hospital in London, where medical staff have argued that treatment should be stopped.

In a case that echoes the Charlie Gard legal battle earlier this year, his parents disagree, claiming that additional medical evidence is required to assess whether more could be done for their son.

On Friday, the family division of the High Court held a directions hearing for the case. Lawyers for the parents said the case was set to return to court on November 6, when doctors from the NHS trust will give evidence. The hearing is expected to run over the next “few months” unless an agreement is reached between the medical experts and the parents, the lawyers say.

Anne-Marie Irwin, an associate at Irwin Mitchell, the national law firm that is representing the child’s mother, Takesha Thomas, said: “This is a very sad and sensitive situation involving a very ill young boy. Isaiah’s parents wish to ensure his treatment continues and believe that there is still more that can be done to help him. It’s important that the clinical evidence is reviewed regarding the treatment options for Isaiah.”

Go to the profile of The Brief team

The Brief team

Articles by The Brief's team of reporters and daily guest columnists

No comments yet.