Charlie Gard’s parents take life support appeal to Supreme Court

Go to the profile of The Brief team
Jun 01, 2017
0
0
Recommend 0 Comment

Chris Gard and Connie Yates want to take their baby son to the US for experimental treatment

Gareth Fuller/PA

A couple who want to take their critically ill baby son to the US for treatment have lodged a last-ditch appeal to the UK Supreme Court.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates want their nine-month-old son, Charlie Gard, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, to undergo a therapy trial. However, specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, where Charlie is being cared for, say that life support treatment should stop and that the therapy proposed is experimental and will not help. 

In April a High Court judge ruled against taking the baby to the US and in favour of Great Ormond Street doctors. Mr Justice Francis concluded that life support treatment should end and said Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity. Last week three Court of Appeal judges upheld that ruling.
 
The appeal judges refused the couple leave to appeal but now the parents are going directly to the Supreme Court to seek leave from the justices themselves. The court said yesterday that “because of the urgency of the matter” three justices will hear the appeal on June 8 in open court. If the couple convinces the justices that they have an arguable case a further date will be set for the main hearing of the appeal, probably by the end of June.
 
Meanwhile, the Court of Appeal has ordered Great Ormond Street doctors to continue providing life support treatment to Charlie until midnight on June 8.

Go to the profile of The Brief team

The Brief team

Articles by The Brief's team of reporters and daily guest columnists

No comments yet.