Terms and conditions
- Part 2 – Standard Membership Terms
- Part 3 – Cancellation Terms
- Part 4 – Membership Benefits
- Part 6 – Participation Guidelines
- Membership Terms, which sets out the terms that will apply to your membership with us;
- Cancellation Terms, which sets out how to cancel your membership; and
- Participation Guidelines, which sets out our approach to community interaction and how we moderate your content, such as comments made in relation to our articles.
Accessing our services
Parts of our services are only accessible to our members and not to visitors. In addition, we may not offer or make available all of our services or content to residents of certain countries.
We may, at our discretion change, remove, suspend or discontinue any aspect of our services at any time including the availability of any content (e.g. a community forum may be withdrawn).
Our content, trademarks, copyright, patents, logos, domain names and other related intellectual property rights or other features of our brand belong to us or to our licensors. Your use of our services does not grant you any rights in and/or our licensor’s intellectual property whether for commercial or non-commercial use.
We grant our users a licence to access and use our services and intellectual property rights (subject to your ability to access our services as set out above) and to the following usage restrictions:
- you may use our services for personal, private and non-commercial purposes; and
- you must not commercially exploit, or sell any content appearing on our services (this does not apply to any user content posted by you and in which you retain ownership rights, see paragraph on user generated content below).
Third Party Content
User Generated Content
Users of our services may be given an opportunity to interact with us and submit, post and/or upload content (including comments and pictures). In posting your content, you confirm to us that you are the owner or have consent from the owner to post the content and that the content complies with our Participation Guidelines and does not defame any person, company or business or violate the privacy rights, copyright and other intellectual property rights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.
By submitting content, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, perpetual, royalty free worldwide licence to use any of the content that you post on or in connection with our services and you also irrevocably waive the benefit of any moral rights you may have in any such material. We do not claim any ownership rights in your content and you continue to retain all ownership rights in your content. If you believe that your rights have been infringed in relation to your content, please contact email@example.com.
We do not endorse any user generated content nor do we guarantee the accuracy or authority of any user generated content. We reserve the right to remove your content and to remove, suspend or discontinue your opportunity to submit, post and/or upload content, at any time and for any reason at our sole discretion and without further recourse to you.
Costs of using our services
We provide our users (whether as a member or visitor) with a variety of services. To benefit fully from our services you will need to become a member as not all aspects of our services are made available to visitors. We may also occasionally require you to download our content and/or call our service providers. If there are charges associated to any of these services, we will make it clear before you incur any such charges and you will be responsible for any charges incurred from that point on.
We will always aim to provide you with the best service we can, but our service is provided “as is” and we do not and cannot promise that all of the information provided in our services will always be 100% accurate. The information provided by our services is for information purposes only and does not constitute advice. All our services are provided without any warranties or guarantees.
Some of the information provided by our services is supplied to us by our third party partners. We have no control over third party content and we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of such third party content. You agree that you access any content at your own risk. Before relying on any information, whether it is from us or from our third party partners, we advise you to verify the accuracy of such information.
Whilst we will do our best to ensure that our service is fully operational at all times, we are not responsible for and shall not be liable to you for any problems or temporary interruptions in using our services arising from factors outside of our control (e.g. technical problems from traffic congestion on the internet) or for any problems arising from participating in or from downloading third party content.
To the extent permissible by law, we are not responsible for any loss or damage resulting from use of our services or from any content posted on or through our services.
Limitation of our liability to you
You agree, that to the extent permissible by law, your sole and only remedy for any problems, issues or concerns with our service is to stop using our services, whether as a member of one of our packs or as a visitor using one of our services.
Changes to our terms
The law that governs our services
Our content means any text, files, images, photos, graphics, video, sounds, musical works, or any other materials that we publish or post on or through our services.
Third party content any text, files, images, photos, graphics, video, sounds, musical works, or any other materials published or posted on or through our services by our third party partners.
Us, our, we means The Times and The Sunday Times of Times Newspapers Limited (TNL), whose registered office is at 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9GF, the holding company of TNL and any subsidiary from time to time of TNL or its holding company.
Part 2 – Membership terms
Welcome to our membership terms. Please read these terms carefully as they will set out the terms for your membership with us. Where there are differences between our memberships for The Times or The Sunday Times in the UK and Ireland (for example, the price of your membership or what it includes), we have set out these details below. Unless otherwise stated, any reference to a member or a membership shall include reference to all our members.
In addition to these terms, you will also be subject to the individual offer terms which govern the specific offer which you choose. Such offer terms will be made available to you when choosing your pack/offer.
If you access one of our packs under a corporate subscription, these standard membership terms will apply to your membership as far as they are relevant. The duration of your membership is determined by the corporate subscription holder.
This is an instant access service. By purchasing this membership you agree your access will start immediately. Please see Part 3 – Cancellation Terms for your cancellation rights.
Membership in the UK
Digital Pack – includes access to the tablet edition, thetimes.co.uk website, thesundaytimes.co.uk website, smartphone app, Times Sport app, Goals, Rugby & Cricket and Times membership benefits.
Ultimate Pack – includes access to the tablet edition, the print edition, thetimes.co.uk website, thesundaytimes.co.uk website, smartphone app, Goals, Rugby & Cricket and Times membership benefits.
Classic Pack – includes the print edition every day, thetimes.co.uk website, thesundaytimes.co.uk website, smartphone app, Goals, Rugby & Cricket and Times membership benefits.
Membership in Ireland
Digital Pack – includes access to, and localised content on, the tablet edition, thetimes.co.uk website, thesundaytimes.co.uk website, smartphone app and Times membership benefits.
There are several more bespoke packs that can be made available to customers on request during the registration process.
The exact entitlements for your selected pack will be made clear to you before you purchase your membership.
How do I become a member?
To become a member in the UK, please visit store3.thetimes.co.uk or call our Member Services team on 0800 018 5177 and select which one of our packs or offers best suits your needs.
To become a member in Ireland, please visit store.thetimes.ie or call our Member Services team on 1800 949 690 or 015360900 and select which one of our packs or offers best suits your needs.
Any UK resident (excluding Channel Islands) can become a member, except for our digital only packs which are available in Ireland and the rest of the world (we reserve the right to exclude certain territories from time to time and limit the entitlements on offer in any country).
You must be 18 or older and have the power to enter into a contract with us and are not prevented from doing so under any local laws.
By registering to become a member, you agree that you have given us accurate registration details, including payment information and will ensure that we always have up to date contact information.
How long is my membership?
Your membership will start immediately upon payment. The terms that govern your minimum and continuing membership with us will vary depending on which membership pack you chose under the offer advertised and whether you have taken out membership to one of our trial offers.
Your minimum membership term will be made known to you before you agree to purchase your membership and will be confirmed to you in your welcome email.
What does my membership cost?
The cost of your membership will be made clear to you on our sign-up pages and in your welcome email and may vary from time to time or by country. You agree to pay the fees at the rates notified to you at the time you purchase one of our membership packs. If you later request us to change your membership pack, you agree to pay the new pack price set out in your change confirmation email.
If you choose to be a member through a trial offer, your trial offer will cost you the trial price offered. At the end of your stated trial period, your membership will automatically continue on a rolling monthly or quarterly basis (this will be made known to you before you complete registration to the trial offer) at the rate notified to you at the time of purchase.
Depending on your location, the Classic Pack and Ultimate Pack may also be available with home delivery for an additional cost per week on top of the basic pack price.
There are several more bespoke packs that can be made available to customers on request during the registration process. The cost of these other packs will vary and will be made known to you before you register.
Payment can be made using all major credit or debit cards and via PayPal. Where relevant, currency conversion values may fluctuate and conversion fees may be charged by your bank. Unless otherwise stated, the savings calculation stated is relevant to the specified pack and is either based upon saving made per week against cover price or against the standard rate (as may be applicable). By submitting payment details to us, you promise that you are entitled to purchase a membership pack using those payment details.
We reserve the right to change your membership price and/or benefits with 30 days’ notice and affected members may terminate their membership within this notice period.
How can I change my membership pack?
It is possible to change your membership pack in certain circumstances. To find out if you are eligible, please contact our Member Services team.
How can I cancel?
Please see Part 3 – Cancellation Terms.
Using your voucher booklet
If your pack includes the print edition version of one of our publications, and you do not choose delivery, you will receive a voucher booklet every 13 weeks. Vouchers are accepted at most newsagents. Please keep your vouchers safe as we are unable to accept any liability for lost or stolen vouchers.
Depending on your membership type, you are entitled to up to five weeks’ membership holiday per year, each yearly period starting on your membership start date.
If your membership is for less than a year, your membership holiday will be pro-rated accordingly.
To use your holiday allowance, 14 days’ notice must be given to our Member Services team and vouchers must be returned within 28 days. Provided your holiday is booked in advance and your vouchers are returned to us, your account will be credited with the value of your subscription for the number of days holiday taken.
Unused allowance from each yearly period cannot be carried forward or refunded in any circumstances.
Please contact our Member Services team for details about your membership holiday and how to book.
How can we change these terms?
We may amend these terms at any time to ensure that we remain compliant with relevant laws and regulations and to ensure that we are constantly improving your membership experience. If we make any important changes to the membership terms we will notify you.
What do I need (devices and hardware)?
To benefit fully from our packs, you will need one or more of the following:
- Android supported smartphones and/or tablet devices (e.g. Nexus, HTC and Galaxy devices);
- Apple iOS7 (or above) supported smartphones and/or tablet devices (e.g. iPhone and iPad); and/or
- for our UK membership packs only, Kindle (although not all digital content will be supported) and second generation or above Kindle Fire devices.
What happens if I default on a payment?
If you default on any payment, we may:
- terminate your membership;
- charge you for any outstanding amount remaining on the unexpired portion of your minimum membership term (subject to your membership and/or offer terms);
- send your details to third party debt collectors; and/or
- take any action which is necessary in our opinion to recover our losses./li>
If your membership has been terminated and you would like to re-subscribe to one of our membership packs, we have the right to require payment in full of any outstanding amount owed to us.
How do I make a complaint?
If you would like to get in touch with us to make a complaint, please use one of the following options:
- for Live Chat, go to www.thetimes.co.uk/livechat;
- by email, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org;
- by telephone free from a UK landline to 0800 018 5177, by mobile to 020 7022 6620 at the network providers standard charge, or from overseas to +44 20 7022 6620;
- by post to Member Services to 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9GF.
For members in Ireland, please contact our Member Services team using the details above or by telephone free from an Irish landline to 1800 949 687, by mobile or landline in Ireland to 015360818, or from overseas to +35315360818.
If you are unable to resolve your dispute with us directly, you may wish to use the European ODR platform at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/
Anything else I should know?
We may change our membership pack entitlements at any time with 30 days’ notice and you may cancel your membership within this notice period. We may also at any time and at our sole discretion, terminate your membership with us where we believe that we have serious grounds to terminate (for example, for non-payment or breach of these terms).
We may screen your name and address against credit reference and fraud prevention databases when we decide whether or not to accept your application for membership. By providing us with your details, you confirm that we may carry out these checks. If we do not accept your application for membership, we will terminate your membership and reimburse any payment that you have made.
Access to Barclays Premier League, FA Cup, Scottish Premiership, Scottish Championship including Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian, GAA Hurling and Football clips for the key League and Championship matches and other sports footage available to UK (including Northern Ireland), Channel Islands and Isle of Man residents, for use within the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man and, to our members in Ireland, for use in Ireland only.
Home delivery (which carries additional monthly charges) may be available in London (subject to our home delivery catchment area) on memberships which include the print edition. Home delivery requires sufficient access to premises and may be cancelled at any time by us at our discretion. Any stated home delivery offer (if applicable) relates to the home delivery service charge only and not the cost of membership.
Our Standard Membership Terms apply to all memberships and can be viewed at thetimes.co.uk.
In addition to these standard membership terms, you will also be subject to any specific terms relating to the offer or pack that you have chosen, as made available to you before the purchase of your membership. If you are found to be abusing the terms of any of our offers, we have the right to suspend and/or terminate your membership and/or offer agreement with us.
Our editorial content is subject to either the Editors’ Code of Practice, administered by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), the independent regulator of the UK’s newspapers and magazines or the Code of Practice administered by the Press Council of Ireland. For more information, please go to IPSO’s website at www.ipso.co.uk or the Press Council of Ireland’s website at www.presscouncil.ie.
Our memberships are subject to English law and to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts. However, if you are a resident in Scotland, our membership packs are subject to Scottish law and to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts and if you are a resident in Ireland, our membership packs are subject to Irish law and to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish courts.
Part 3 – Cancellation Terms
How can I cancel my membership?
You cancel your membership simply by calling our Member Services team on 0800 018 5177 in the UK or 1800 949 687 in Ireland. Lines are open 8am – 7pm Monday – Thursday, and 8am – 6pm Friday – Sunday.
What information do I need to cancel?
When cancelling your membership with us, please have the following information ready:
- That you would like to cancel your membership with us and stating that this is a notice of cancellation;
- Which membership pack you would like to cancel;
- When you subscribed to our membership pack; and
- Your name and address.
Can I get a refund if I cancel?
Members of our Classic Pack, Ultimate Pack and Digital Pack (excluding rolling monthly Digital Pack)
If you cancel within 14 days of the start of your membership, we will refund any payments received from you using the same method of payment that you used to purchase your membership. You will not be entitled to a refund of your initial payment if you cancel after the first 14 days of the start of your membership.
Members of our rolling monthly Digital Pack only
To become a member of one of our rolling monthly Digital Packs, you request us to begin the supply of digital content to you during the 14 day cancellation period. You acknowledge and agree that your initial payment is for the supply of digital content for the entirety of any applicable trial period and that you will not be entitled to receive a refund of your initial payment once you have logged in to your account.
Anything else I should know?
If you would like to cancel and it has been more than 14 days since the start of your membership, you can do so by following the cancellation instructions above, however you must call us at least 15 days before your next billing date, otherwise you will be required to make your next bill payment and your membership will continue until the end of the next billing period. Your estimated bill payment date will be set out in your welcome email and you can find out your exact billing date by calling our Member Services team.
If you would like to cancel within 14 days of the start of your membership, we advise you to cancel via telephone, as this will instantly confirm your cancellation. Alternatively, you may email email@example.com your registered email address, telling us you’d like to cancel or including the completed form below and we will contact you regarding your request. These additional cancellation options are only available to members who would like to cancel within 14 days of their membership start date.
To: Customer Services, Times Newspapers Limited
I hereby give notice that I cancel my Subscription contract
Purchased on: [insert date of Subscription]
Customer Reference Number: [insert your Customer reference number]
Your full name:
Reason for cancelling (optional):
Please note that if you cancel your membership within the first 14 days, your access to our services will stop and you will be required to forfeit any membership benefits that you have received, including sign-up offers, vouchers or any other benefits connected to your membership. If you have any questions about what cancelling your membership means for you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our online Live Chat service.
How can we change these terms?
Part 4 – Membership benefits
For details of how we will process your personal information, please visit www.newsprivacy.co.uk.
Part 6 – Participation guidelines
Our guidelines are designed to make clear our approach to community interaction at The Times and The Sunday Times, including moderation of comments and other content submitted by members.
There are six simple community standards that we expect members to follow when interacting with us.
- We respect all our users and expect you to respect each other. Please ensure comments are legal, tasteful and civil. Personal attacks, harassment and inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.
- Choose your words carefully and do not use language that is threatening, defamatory or offensive to any individual or groups. Understand that words which you deem acceptable may be offensive to others.
- We acknowledge that there may be criticism of our journalism but personal insults or repeated attacks directed towards our journalists will not be tolerated. If you would like to comment on the impartiality of an article, please email email@example.com.
- Maintain a respectful tone, especially when discussing heated or controversial issues. We realise this can be hard and we recommend that users re-read comments before posting.
- Help us take responsibility for the level of conversation on the website by ensuring comments are relevant and on topic. If you think discussion on an article is moving away from the intended topic, click ‘Flag comment’ on the comment box and we will investigate.
- Where you refer to reports, studies, other articles and additional information, do your best to link to the original source. This extra context is conducive for having interesting and useful discussions and will result in better feedback from our other readers.
Our approach to user generated content
We pre-moderate all comments made by our members in accordance with these Participation Guidelines and content that does not breach these guidelines may be published. Our aim is to ensure that all members enjoy our services.
In order to ensure our members remain compliant with our Participation Guidelines, we have created a non-exhaustive list of prohibited interactions, which we hope you will find useful. Interactions must not:
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age or links to articles or websites that do the same;
- harass, threaten or attack anyone or otherwise behave in a way that could cause annoyance or distress to our members;
- be obscene, vulgar, offensive, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit or indecent;
- use swear words, act in a threatening or abusive manner or promote violence;
- make libellous or defamatory comments about others;
- contain any information which personally identifies another individual (such as name, phone number and address) or breaches data protection law, unless it is editorially justified, in the public domain or express consent has been obtained;
- constitute or encourage conduct that would be a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, national or international law;
- prejudice pending or on-going criminal or civil court proceedings;
- violate, plagiarise or infringe the rights of third parties including any copyright, trademark, patent, rights of privacy or publicity or any other proprietary right;
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- contain any information, software or other material of a commercial nature;
- contain advertising, promotions or commercial solicitations of any kind, unless editorially justified;
- be likely to upset, embarrass and alarm any other person;
- constitute or contain false or misleading indications of origin or statements of fact;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- contain any virus, Trojan horse, worm, time bomb, cancelbot or other similar harmful programming routine.
- We will refrain from publishing content that breaches these guidelines and may edit or remove a comment we feel has caused offence to our members. This is in the interest of keeping our community areas appropriate for the vast majority of the people who visit.
- If a member seriously or repeatedly violates these guidelines, we will take whatever action necessary to ensure these violations are prevented from continuing and we reserve the right to remove, suspend or discontinue your opportunity to submit, post and/or upload content at our sole discretion and without further recourse to you.
- At all times, we reserve the right to take actions that we think will benefit our members. We will always try to communicate any changes that affect our members, although this is not always possible. All actions taken by the Head of Community Development and the Community team are final. If you have any queries or suggestions about how to improve participation with us or about any aspect of our Participation Guidelines, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may amend these Participation Guidelines or any of our terms to ensure that we remain compliant with relevant laws and regulations and to ensure that we are constantly improving your membership experience.